Thursday, April 28, 2011

Ciao Italy

I'm back! It was a funny realization, getting back to Versailles and really feeling that “home sweet home” sensation, since I haven’t been here all that long. I have chalked it up to a positive though, a sign that I’ve settled quite comfortably into my surroundings here. I suppose returning to temperatures in the mid twenties helps as well!

We spent the last week in Southern Italy, in Club Med Napitia, only a couple minutes from the seaside in the Calabria region. Upon arrival to the club, we were handed miniature cocktails and shuffled off to our rooms to unpack and get settled in. The family stayed in a little condo on one side of the resort and I had my own room on the other, which was nice. It is definitely a family based resort, with everyone donning stripes and kahkis, giving you the impression you’ve just entered the set of a Nautica advertisement. The club is filled with courts: tennis, basketball, volleyball, bocci ball, soccer, even ping pong; and nestled amidst them are a couple azure swimming pools, areas for the children to play, and restaurants where the mojitos and cappucinos flow freely –everything you could need or want for a relaxing week in the meditereanean. Sophie and Hugues mostly played tennis, and entertained the little ones at the beach, while I often lounged by the pool, drank cappucinos, and tested out the aerobics classes.

On Wednesday afternoon I hopped on the bus with 50 other people and we drove down the coast a bit to Tropea. Seeing the copper topped pale yellow houses peek out from the hills reminded me of the Italy I fell in love with a couple years ago, and I was sure I could already taste the pistachio gelato again. We were given a quick tour of the town, skipping the previously planned Cathedral because the keeper may have had a couple too many limoncello’s before arriving, and then given a bit of free time to wander on our own. The cities of Calabria date back multiple hundreds of years, and although previously pelted with a few unfortunate earthquakes in their time, have been preserved fairly well. It is much less scenic and majestic than the rest of Italy, but beautiful all the same. After picking up a few souvenirs and avoiding the subtle charms of the original guidos, -“Miss, you look for hotel? I have flat!”…Thanks, but no thanks- we headed back to the club just in time for dinner.

After a couple more days of soaking up the sun (as previously mentioned, I’ve got the freckles to prove it), and polishing off a couple novels (the book I linked last post was fantastic), Sunday rolled around and our Italian adventure had come to an end.


My Balcony

Many hours spent at the pool

The beach! (Was a bit breezy which made it chilly)

Excursion day: Tropea

Back in Italy, Yay!

Touring the town

Typical Italy.. Churches everywhere!



Check it. I was looking through my pictures when I got home and noticed something: Look at the picture from last post (creeped from google of course).... now look at this one! Cool huh?

Playlists of the week: Jack Johnson, Across the Universe soundtrack, Lily Allen

No comments:

Post a Comment