Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Finally.. The Truth Behind French Stereotypes

Everyone is familiar with the common French stereotypes (come on.. I know you are imagining the creepy "Frenchman" accent complete with the gutteral chuckle)and I've decided to set the record straight!

The French love baguettes: Very true. Everyone is always walking around with baguettes in their hands. Maybe I just spend too much time near bakeries.

Everyone in France smokes: Also very true. Whether it is first or secondhand, everyone smokes like a chimney.

French people are rude: Debatable. I have met some very nice French people, but have also run into my share of rude people. This may be due to the fact that my French accent and vocabulary are fairly terrible making it easy for them to peg as a foreigner. They really don't like you if you can't speak their language.

French women don't shave: (I got this list off google) I guess I will be able to answer this more accurately in summer, but I haven't seen any lady werewolves yet.

French men are creepy: Not really. For the most part men tend to keep to themselves, but those who don't definitely deserve this reputation. (Insert creepy accent again)

French people are fashionable: True. I'm not saying everyone here is walking around in Chanel and Christian Dior, but the concentration of people who put some effort into their clothing choice is significantly higher. Also, I have yet to see a pair of crocs in public. Win!

French people smell bad: I haven't noticed but..
a)everyone walks a lot.. which induces sweat. Not great on the smell front.
b)I don't know if other houses are like this.. but I only have a bath. No shower. Lame. Who wants to bathe every day? Not me. So I don't blame French people if they decided to skip a day or three.
c) French people really like perfume.
All facts considered, I would say they smell neutral.

The French live on a steady diet of Wine and Cheese (and baguettes): I wish. It is much more common to have a glass of wine when you are dining with family/friends but as far as I know it is not mandatory... unfortunately ;)
I will add that a proper French breakfast -espresso and a croissant- is to die for. Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment